Monday, February 22, 2010

Amniotic What Now?

Today Mitch and I had an appointment with our OB for an update on the baby's growth and my fluid levels. The ultrasound looked okay, and one of the first things the doctor said was "Your fluid looks good." She said the baby is about 4 pounds, which at 32 weeks is pretty large, but the accuracy of an ultrasound to determine weight can often be off by as much as a pound. A quarter of the baby's weight is no small deal, so we took that with a grain of salt - it could be three pounds, or (heaven help me) five.

Then, the OB changed her mind and decided to look at the fluid again. She measured for a few minutes and told us my fluid was at 10.6. Now, if we hadn't been taking this birthing class with such a great teacher, we would have had no idea what she was talking about. She was referring to my AFI, or Amniotic Fluid Index.

She then went on to explain that she was concerned that the level was low for 32 weeks. She threw out the word "induction" and told us that if it got too low (8) we'd probably have to consider inducing. At this point, I feel like most people wouldn't know what to say and would smile and nod and go home thinking, "Okay, I'm going to be induced."

The reality is that most women measure between 9 and 14 and according to another very reliable OB in our area, the majority of the women he sees measure at 10. So we're actually above average! Additionally, a woman would really be considered at risk if her AFI was 6. Not 10.

Why does this upset me? Because if we hadn't taken the time to research and take a class and educate ourselves, this OB would be able to pressure us into an intervention that we didn't even need! We're determined to bring the level up a bit by drinking more (how can I drink more - I'm already in the ladies' room 20 times a day?!), resting more, and avoiding stress (tough one!). Thankfully our birthing instructor is super supportive and so knowledgeable that we're able to call on her anytime to get reassurance about this.

This is just another reason I get angry about the state of our health care and medical system. It's ruled by intimidation and fear - and sadly, sometimes ignorance by those people we trust our health to. Being proactive and well-educated is the only way you can feel confident that you're getting the treatment that's really the best for you! We both know our baby is doing well and that I'm healthy and we intend to stand up for our rights by asking questions and demanding reasons!

Oh, one more irony for those of you who know what trials we have had with our OB...today I hadn't gained any extra weight after she told me last time I had to keep my weight down (not that I was trying). And today she kept commenting that I looked so skinny to be carrying a "big" baby like this. Well, lady - am I too big or too small? I'll let the way I feel be the judge of how much weight is right, thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment